The Bear and the Nightingale: A Novel - Katherine Arden

Disclaimer: I received an ARC review copy from LibraryThing in exchange for an honest review.

I devoured this book like I haven't devoured a novel in months. It feels like my soul was starved for this story, and now I just feel hollow. I miss it. I want to reread it already.

If you have been following me for a time, you may know my struggle with Russian literature (I tried to read Anna Karenina for three entire years). This is not Russian Lit™ but it feels like it. I can't exactly put my finger on it but this felt like every piece of Russian lit I've tried to read (but been completely unable to get more than halfway through). In contrast to literally every experience I've had with Russian lit, The Bear and the Nightingale was gripping. It held me in its teeth from page 1 and would not let go.

This was my last read of the year, finished an hour or two before midnight, and the perfect way to end the dumpster fire that was 2016. The Bear and the Nightingale was a good mix of honest, humorous, frightening, and fantastical. Vasya kicks ass and I love her and - drum roll please - she talks to horses. As soon as a girl talks to horses you have me. I'm sold.

Some parts are a little slow, which I know some people don't like and prefer to be whisked along from page to page on a whirlwind, but it fits the cadence of the story. It's beautifully written and flows really well. In closing, I'll share a couple of my favorite quotes, but keep in mind I'm reviewing from an ARC copy and this may change in the final version!

We do not speak to many, and the spirit of horses does not reveal himself to anyone. There is magic in your bones. You must reckon with it.

---

"All my life," [Vasya] said, "I have been told 'go' and 'come.' I am told how I will live, and I am told how I must die. I must be a man's servant and a mare for his pleasure, or I must hide myself behind walls and surrender my flesh to a cold, silent got. I would walk into the jaws of hell itself, if it were a path of my own choosing. [...]"