The Secret Horses of Briar Hill - Megan Shepherd
This is my favorite middle grade read of the year - of the last three years, actually. It's a magical realism story set during WWII, where a girl in a hospital sees winged horses in the mirrors. Here's a confession: I'm a horse girl. You've got horses, you've got me. I've read a load of horsey stories in my life, more in my youth than I have in the last few years. I think I have the pedigree required to call myself an expert on horse books, and this is an excellent horse book. It doesn't share many of the more childish cliches of horse books, save one: girl finds injured horse, does everything to save it. And it does it so darn well. There's such depth to this that, after the past few middle grade novels I've read, I honestly wasn't expecting. It's beautifully written. The children behave like children and don't speak like overly wise adults. It's heartwarming and heartbreaking while being neither saccharine nor melodramatic. Something about the writing and the story combined to give me such a nostalgia trip that I cried once or twice. If you know a Horse Girl™ of any gender, send this book their way.