Happy New Year everyone!

According to Goodreads I read 80 books this year. Not counting my DNFs, I read 76 books this year. So, the estimate of 20,198 pages is likely off anyways! Regardless, this is the highest number I've achieved so far, not counting my re-reads of Animorphs on a roughly yearly basis.

Now for some juicy stats, pulled from GR because BookLikes has such a user-unfriendly, piss-me-off interface. These are adjusted as I went and knocked some plain unmemorable books down a star or two. If I have forgotten that I read a book in under a year, it's probably not even worth three stars.

Books read: 76

2 star ratings: 13

1 star ratings: 5

No rating: 1

DNF: 4

Most mainstream: If I Stay by Gayle Forman  (421,986 ratings)

Most obscure: Shadow on the Eclipse by J. A. Self (2 ratings)

Longest: The Wolf of Wall Street by Jordan Belfort (528 pages)

Shortest: The Body-Snatcher by Robert Louis Stevenson (22 pages)

Worst: Come now, it's hardly past Christmas. I couldn't.

Best read of 2015:

The Man Who Spoke Snakish by Andrus Kivirähk

Only because calling The Call of Cthulhu my best read would be cheating. Both of them continue to creep around my nightmares.

Honorable mentions:

Pickles and Ponies by Laura May

The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins

The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness

---

This is the year that I finally started officially DNFing books and it has been a revolution! I have two shelves for this on Goodreads: DNF for good, and DNF for now. One for books I cannot bother to finish, and one for books I am too lazy/disinterested in at the moment to finish but intend to pick up again at a later date. It's often I pick up a good book, get 20 pages in and go "No, I'm not ready for this right now. Maybe later."

At some point this year I passed the year mark for starting to review on this blog, though since I tend not to spoil or post a synopsis, there are some that would say that I don't review at all. I have in fact come across some snide comments on my feed to this effect, though I'm not quite enough of a narcissist to assume they're about my shit reviews. I don't like to spell out what happens (which is often just rewording the synopsis from the book jacket anyways) particularly on GR because it is quite literally right there for you to read if you wish to. Whatever you want to think of it, I like sharing how books make me feel. In my opinion that is the most important part of a book.

In closing, Anna Karenina still glares at me from my desk. It has been over a year with her looming over me like a great Russian cinderblock. I pray 2016 is the year I finally knock her out for good. I tire of her.

I wish you all a blessed new year!